Thursday, May 19, 2005

Showdown on the Hill....

Okay, so that was what the CBC, yes, the CBC, was touting today's vote as. They are getting as bad as Fox News. So, the government didn't fall. It was a tie - 152 votes to 152 votes, meaning that the speaker of the house had to vote, for the first time in a confidence motion. He voted with the government. Chuck Cadman, an MP from Surrey, voted with the government based on what his constituents wanted. I love that. The man went out, okay, Global went out, and polled the members of his riding. They said they didn't want an election now. And he voted with them. Although Cadman used to be a Conservative, he voted against them. Plus, the man traveled to Ottawa while in the middle of battling cancer. I have much respect for him in doing what the people he represents want.

So, what happens now. I am sure there will another non-confidence vote soon. Regardless, Paul Martin has said that he will call an election within 30 days after the Gomery Inquiry is completed. Looks like we will be going to the polls by the end of the year.

I must admit, I am finding this all fascinating. I got a rush when Chuck Cadman rose in his seat to indicate a "yes" vote. It was kinda like watching a close hockey game, just waiting for on of the teams to score in triple overtime. Who new politics could be so interesting and full of drama. I need a life, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice Petty said...

Cass,

TOtally hear you on the "rush" thang. I left work a few minutes early so I could get home in time to watch the vote... CBC was touting all day that the gov't was likely to fall because no one knew what Chuckie was going to do... I was VERY excited... almost teary when he voted in favour of the budget.

Seriously. Who knew Canadian politics could be so interesting... and dare I say, exciting?

Weird.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Cascadia said...

I know I know! I jumped off the couch and pumped my fist when he stood up! It was like watching the Canucks during their run for the Stanley Cup in the 90's. I wonder what will happen next....

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home