Monday, May 09, 2005

It's Official, I am Going to Hell.

So, I received a comment on my last posting. It directed me to another person's blog about how many people we die today. It then begged the question, "Are you Good Enough to Get into Heaven?" So, I decided to take the test. What the hell right? Well, it appears I am going to hell. Does this upset me? Not really. I don't believe in hell. Well, not the kind of hell we read about or are told about in bible stories. I believe we make our own hell, right here, right now. I have seen it with members of my family. To live without love and tolerance and to live with bitterness, judgment and contempt is hell....it is hell on Earth.

I am not a religious person. I never have been and I never will be. That being said, I am spiritual. I believe in a recycling of energy. As a scientist, we learn that energy can neither be created or destroyed. I believe that of the human spirit. My dad is around me always. I talk to him, I tell him I love him. I believe he shows himself to me in different ways. At my sister's wedding, as we were waiting to walk down the aisle, a butterfly flew around us and landed in my bouquet. It circled around us as we walked to her husband. It then circled them and spiraled up towards the sun and disappeared. That was him. That was his energy. That was his way of being present on an important day.

Growing up in a crazy religious town, I saw much hypocrisy from the so-called "chosen people". My family was shunned for not going to church. I think our Sundays were far better than church could have been. On Sundays, our family would spend time together. We would go for walks up our neighbourhood creek, we would take naps outside, we would play softball and we would be a family. To me, I have learned more from those times, being with my Dad than I could ever learn from sitting in a stuffy church, falling asleep, being lectured. To me, love of a family and love of nature is my religion, is my spirit.

So, yes, according to some of you, I am going to hell, whatever that may be. But I beg of you, let your god be the judge. Don't judge me. Don't feel for me. Don't "save" me. I have an awfully good life. And despite what you may think, I am an awfully good person. And, if I end up in hell, I'll meet up with all of my friends and we will have one hell of a party!

6 Comments:

Blogger mollyblogger said...

Hey Cass,

When we're all meeting in hell, come find me. I'll be the lush at the side of the stage, surrounded by fabulous gay men, trying to stick dollar bills into the panties of the drag queens.

You won't be able to miss me.
Mwa!
Molly.

7:26 PM  
Blogger john boy said...

Well said. I'm always disturbed when these christian fundamentalists decide they will tell us (because they know) how their god makes decisions. Playing a god must break one of their rules, right? I was brought up in organized religion, but now explore my spirituality through many sources of knowledge and experience. Cheers.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Cascadia said...

Hey hey!
MB - I'll bring the frozen loonies! We will have too much fun...

JB - Thanks for youe words. It always seems so strange that people don't leave it up to god to judge. I agree...there has to be a rule broken somewhere!

Hell ya!
Cass

8:00 PM  
Blogger Beatrice Petty said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Beatrice Petty said...

Peeps,

I've decided that I am going to plant a garden in Hell. I have this nagging suspicion that there won't be enough flowers in Hell.

Look for the green space. You'll find me there in a lawn chair with my feet up, sipping on a mint julip, reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hell"

ps. sorry about the delete. One more example of how important it is to proofread.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Cascadia said...

I have always wanted to see that movie or read the book - I think it was a book. Maybe what comes after is what you believe in your heart! Wouldn't that be cool? If you believed there was butterflies and waterfalls, you got it. If you believed there was poofy white clouds, they are yours! I hope to have some questions answered though....some of life's mysteries...like Stonehenge and the Mona Lisa. Hmmmm....

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home